What: Data Privacy relates to how information or data should be handled based on its relevance and its significance to the person. In the digital age, the data privacy applies to all personally identifiable information (PII) which include Emirates ID, passport details, mother’s maiden name, financial data such as bank account details and credit card numbers, ATM PIN etc.
How: A data breach can occur when someone exposes their financial information such as bank account details and credit card numbers, ATM PIN etc., to fraudster unknowingly. Once the fraudsters have gathered sufficient sensitive information, using a combination of personally identifiable information they can access bank accounts/withdraw funds from accounts, fill out an application for loans, credit cards, or even sell the data.
- Limit the information you share on social media platforms. Do not keep any personal details such as your phone number, date of birth visible for all on social media.
- Create strong & complex passwords and change them frequently. Never use the same password across all applications.
- Always use a secure internet connection and trusted computer for accessing online banking facilities.
- Do not download unknown apps and if you do so, do not allow them access to your contacts, photos, any other access which it may ask for.
- Ensure to keep the operating software up to date on your electronic devices.
- Format your old PC/Mobile, before discarding it.
- Do not respond to unsolicited calls or text messages asking for your sensitive information. Your bank will never ask for your confidential details over the phone.